J1 rebuild into J date wasRe: N&W Builders Numbers

Wed Aug 25 23:50:21 EDT 2004

> Since the subject of J1 to J rebuilding has come up,
> found some information several years ago about #610
> and its test on PRR from 12/5/44 through 1/3/45.  At
> that time, available test report data and internal
> PRR
> correspondence states (several times) that 610 was
> fully roller bearing equipped (journals and rods).
===========
AFAIK, All J class locos were built with all axles
being roller bearing - J or J1.

The WW2 "skimp" was no shrouding, along with carbon
steel alligator crossheads instead of of the modern
multiple bearing type (light alloys were restricted).

Prince's book, as with most other references I've
seen, indicate the PRR reached sustained speeds in
excess of 110 mph with the J in command.

All per R.E. Prince, in "N&W Railway - Pocahontas Coal
Carrier.

Intriguing :-)

Mark Peele
Catonsville, MD