Save the Train - Lynchburg

Thu Sep 30 08:57:46 EDT 2004

Here are some quotes from some e-mails concerning the Save the Train
project in Lynchburgs Riverside Park.  Hopefully some of you folks may
be able to provide some assistence.  Directions to the park can be found at:
http://www.club-e-stores.com/Caboose/caboose64_lynchburgmaps.htm

 From Scott Lyng concerns about the city and a plea for funds and labor.
"...today's monthly mtg w/ the city on the train project.
They are very appreciative of the work & caliber of the work we are
doing on the preservation of the train. The email ciculating from time
to time indicates  an uneasiness about the city's general committment
to paying for a pavillion, covering the whole train. I am a very
concerned person on this issue.

Today's mtg revealed an acknowledement that dates back to before my
involvement, that being that the parks & rec dept, were committing,
as a funding division of the city, to agree to commiting the funds
necessary to build a pavillion over the whole train. This commitment
comes in the way of grants, matching grants or any other source other
than flat out putting up the money or 1/2 of it, to be matched, to
fund the pavillion. This is the understanding that parks & recreation
has about funding & commitment & that any corespondence to city
council over & above & including this commitment be addressed to parks
& rec, first.

This project has taken on a greater level of involement than I
anticipated. The lack of interest from the local N&W historical group
(sic) plus the the several local model RR groups leaves a hard working
person in a quandry.

Damn it,  we need help, every weekend. minimum 4 people.....

And from Bill Hodges a report on last weeks efforts and what is still
needed.

"The Circle K'ers , Key Clubbers, Kiwanians, and others ; 30 of them
(count'em) worked and ate together to get a LOT done last Saturday!

Here's what we did.
*       Took the trash to the dump.  5 pickup loads!
*       Scooped up the sandblasting material. 4 Pickup loads dumped on
Glenn Updike's drive.  One side is done.  There are probably about 2
loads to get on the creek side of the train.
*       Brought caboose parts back from Alex Dirom's Garage so they
can be painted.  Done!
*       Chris McBride sandblasted and put the primer on the top of the
engine.
*       Some sandblasting material was recycled.
*       The Buncher Rail Car man came down and agreed to do some sheet
metal work on the engine.
*       Andrea Stellato of the Circle K'ers and her parents engineered
a wonderful lunch and Amanda Pieleck of the Key Clubs did delicious
deserts. Boy! did it taste good, and Boy! was I hungry!

 We need help Saturday and Sunday - No work on Friday

*    Chris McBride has about a day's worth of sandblasting to do - the
top of the tender, the inside of the cab, and parts of the tender
running gear - which he will do Saturday.  He will do the priming
Sunday.  All this is provided it isn't rainy. One person for 3
Saturday sessions is needed to shake the sandblasting tank
periodically and fill the tank with material. We have the stuff in 50#
bads which makes it easier.
*    We need to do a bit more scaling with the scalers in the cab and on
the running gear.  One person for each of 2 sessions on Saturday will do.
*    We need to clean up about 2 pickup loads of sandblasting material.
We've already gotten 4 loads. Two persons at 2 PM Sunday afternoon could
do this in 2 ½ hrs.

So, workers needed are:

Sat. 11 AM to 1 PM -------  2 people
Sat.  2 PM to 4;30 PM-------2 people.
Sat.  4:30 PM to 7 PM-------1 person
Sun. 2 PM to 4:30 PM-------2 People"

He goes on to talk about other work necessary to complete the project.

If you can give labor, stop on by.  If you can make a donation please
visit http://www.club-e-stores.com/Caboose/caboose64_lynchburg.htm
where you can contribute on-line or obtain the mailing address to send a
check or cash.

We thank Hillary Smith for his donation.  And Club E Stores will be
making a $500 contribution today.

Sorry for the long post.

Tom Salmon