Rorer Mines Railroad

Sun Oct 31 21:42:40 EST 2004

In a message dated 10/31/04 9:28:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, scribit
Ronaldo:

Can you or Don tell us where the Crozier Iron works were located?
<<

Jah, of course.

On the south side of the N&W yard at Roanoke, just west of 24th Street. That
facility was called the "West End Rolling Mill."  As I recall, it was about
equidistant between the Yard and Patterson Avenue.

I also think they had a facility (perhaps an earlier one) east of "Furnace
Crossing" (just east of Roanoke Shops... why do you think it's called "Furnace"
Crossing??? )  but I'm too many years away from all these topics to have good
recall on specifics.  I believe David H. Flickwir might have been involved in
this facility.  Of course, it was situated in that location so that it might
easily provide iron to the Roanoke Machine Works (East End Shops.)  When
switching in that area back in the 1960s, I remember that the ground was covered
with what appeared to be slag from a furnace.

Somewhere I have pictures which I copied (using a hand-held 35mm camera with
old PanAtomic ASA 32 film) from books in the Rivinus Room of the main Roanoke
Library, back about 1960.  But you'll probably git to the Rivinus Room for
syourself long before I find them th'ar prints in m'ah messy basement !

-- abram burnett