Did N&W Run over VGN During USRA Era?

Sun Oct 31 22:10:07 EST 2004

Quoting H. Reid's The Virginian Railway, page 65

''The first N&W train ran east over the Virginian was on December 1,
Early in 1919, four N&W trains steamed east while three Virginians went
the other way. It was anticipated that all N&W through tonnage east of
Roanoke and Crewe could go over the Virginian while four or five
Virginian empties could be sent over the N&W. The joint efforts
reinstated several passenger trains that had been war-curtailed.
Moreover, a Virginian freight into Norfolk switching from N&W to
Virginian mainlines at Portlock, cut out the need for a Norfolk
switcher.
More than likely, the experiment would have continued had the war not
ended with a recession.  Virginian sold its coal pier barges, laid off
men, including the general manager; and fought off lingering high coal
prices and mine complications. It was time to think of individual
economic survival instead of consolidated facilities.''

Ken Miller