New moderate power steam?

Thu Nov 18 13:10:14 EST 2004

And the latest Greg Scholl video/DVD N&W Steam Freights (available from
the Commissary)  shows K-1 112 (or 114?)working as the west end shifter
on the Peavine in 1955-56 in and around Batavia Ohio.

For many years the M-1's worked the West End Shifter or the East End
Shifter on the Peavine, working from Clare Yard, Cincinnati to
Hillsboro, Oh on the Hillsboro Branch and back or from Portsmouth, Ohio
to Hillsboro and back.

(Over the years there were a number of different ways the shifters could
work this line. Out and back.  Clare to Portsmouth. Portsmouth to
Clare.)

The M-1's lasted until the later 1940's when Class Z's were used.

But, the K-1's were assigned to Clare in about 1954 to work the shifter
and act as back-up passenger power.  The crews found them a little
slippery on the Hillsboro Branch, but fast on the rest of the Peavine.

G Rolih Cincinnati