New River Extension

Wed Dec 8 01:20:18 EST 2004

Bud,

Thanks for the information about the reverse operation before the curved
bridge was completed in 1888.  This is information that I have never seen
elsewhere.  I had assumed that the curved bridge was part of the original
construction of the line to the coalfields.

I don't know the precise location of the junction at Back Creek, but if you
follow the generous, even radii of the present-day county road on a topo
map, you can almost pick out where the junction would have been.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: New River Extension

> Gordon,
>
> New River, the community, is in fact across the river from Radford. In
1883,
> the original line began at New River Depot and proceeded along the river
and
> up over Schooler Hill down to Back creek and Belspring. Thus all trains
> leaving Radford had to cross the New River and then reverse direction to
> proceed toward Bluefield. The curved bridge was completed in 1888 and that
> allowed trains to use the New River line to and from Radford without
> reversing direction.
>
> I would have to find a RR map showing the actual location of the old line
> connection with the current line in the vicinity of Back Creek and
> Belspring.
>
> Bud Jeffries

River."
> > Was the New River Depot indeed across the river from Radford?
> >
> > The same map shows a Back Creek crossing under the N&W one-half mile
west
> > of
> > Belspring.  Based on that, it appears that the short-lived junction
> > between
> > the new line and the west end of  the old line may have been located
> > there.
> >
> > Comments anyone?
> >
> > Gordon Hamilton

Back