New River Extension

Tue Dec 7 00:09:30 EST 2004

Gordon,

New River, the community, is in fact across the river from Radford. In 1883,
the original line began at New River Depot and proceeded along the river and
up over Schooler Hill down to Back creek and Belspring. Thus all trains
leaving Radford had to cross the New River and then reverse direction to
proceed toward Bluefield. The curved bridge was completed in 1888 and that
allowed trains to use the New River line to and from Radford without
reversing direction.

I would have to find a RR map showing the actual location of the old line
connection with the current line in the vicinity of Back Creek and
Belspring.

Bud Jeffries

Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 9:58 PM
Subject: Fwd: New River Extension