Motive power balance on the Pumpkin Vine

Thu Feb 3 10:32:20 EST 2005

Gang I don't know where all the power is held for I seldom see more thatn three units at North Winston yard on a week end and hardky any during the week. Local enginers tell me they ahve to get power off the coal train to switch locally. Cal Reynolds in Winston-Salem.
  Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 9:53 PM
  Subject: Motive power balance on the Pumpkin Vine

  Harry,

  You and I have had some discussion about how the motive power gets so out of balance that it is not unusual for northbound trains on the peavine to be sporting 10 or more engines on the front end, bringing them to where they are needed.

  Very rarely you might see a dozen or more engines running light, bringing motive power into Roanoke. One morning the returning empty auto carrier train came northbound with 10 locomotives on the front, trailed by a block of another 20 engines running light.

  I'm still scratching my head about how so many locomotives get "stranded" at the south end of the Pumpkin Vine. One would think that at some point they'd be needed to haul all those empty freight cars back to where they came. Obviously it is much more complicated than that.

  Ron Davis