John Palmer Fishwick

Tue Feb 8 11:24:18 EST 2005

Adm. Scheer:
I didn't know that Mr. Fishwick has an office in the Franklin Road
Building.  The Property Protection people are pretty  particular
about who they'll let in.  I tried getting in at the offices in  Norfolk
and was turned away, so I haven't tried Franklin Road.

That he still has an office probably isn't out of line.  After  all,  in
retirement, Mr. Pevler had an office in the Hotel Roanoke -- and a
full time steno.  The last time I saw JPF was at the dinner  commem-
orating the railroad's entry into Roanoke in 1853 (?).  He was  the
speaker.  I don't know how he's using his time these days.

True, he and Blair lived in the penthouse at the hotel.  When
Palmer (his daughter) was married, there was a big reception on the
hotel lawn.  I suspect that Hank Kinzell, Supt. of Roanoke  Term.,
had instructions not to send any smoke-belching Alcos past the
passenger station.  Blair died and circa 1990 Mr. Fishwick  married
the former General Manager of the hotel.  Before that, I  once
ran into him in the supermarket, so apparently he did his own
grocery shopping.   You know, of course, that his commute to  work
became a discussion item.  In the N&W Magazine, he'd  introduced
an answer the question segment know as "Green Board to the
President".  After the blizzards of 1976, an employee wrote in  wanting
to know why, on snow days, the supervisory personnel got paid, but
the union employees didn't.  Mr. Fishwick responded that every  one
should make an honest effort to report to work.  During inclement  weather
he walked to work.  That said, N&W coulda done a whole lot  worse.
Just look at NS's competitor.    To get to a "Skins"  game,  CSX dead
headed their business car train Jax-Richmond so the hierarchy didn't
travel I-95 like John Q. Public.
                                                        Harry Bundy