Station Information

Mon Feb 14 22:56:03 EST 2005

Leslie

Well you have a good question.  Not sure I have the answer.  Gluck was
listed as a legal station on the N&W (one on file with the ICC from at
least 1929 to 1963). This would mean that some level of Common Carrier
service was provided.  Will stop on signal may have various meanings.  A
signal could be one by the dispatcher, the agent on duty or someone wanting
the train to stop and waving his arm etc. I suspect the arm wave by a
waiting passenger is the most plausible explanation.

When you find these non-timetable points on the main line where there were
many trains there is normally a note in the timetable which trains will
stop at non scheduled stations.  Not all trains would stop and some were
restricted to which non scheduled stations they would stop. Not sure about
the Dry Fork but suspect they only had one passenger train in each
direction during the time period in question. This train would stop at
every timetable stop and would slow to stop on a signal by person standing
by the track on the platform.

That stop on signal was a bothersome question to me one time when I was 14
years old.  I caught the east bound Pocahontas out of Roanoke and was going
to meet the west bound Pocahontas at Crewe which my dad was conductor for
the return to Roanoke.  That particular day the west bound train was late
and the conductor on the east bound told me to ride on and we would meet
the westbound at some point. Any way I was put off in Blackstone as I
recall by Conductor Tucker Bowles and told the west bound would stop and
pick me up.  Well at this time the Pocahontas was only required to stop at
Blackstone to discharge or pick up passengers a non scheduled
stop.  Needles to say I did not get very far from that track until the
westbound train stopped as I had no idea how they would know to stop except
by my hand.  Since he was late, I don't think the non required stop at
Blackstone was appreciated by the westbound conductor.  Not sure if the
train ever came to a complete stop but perhaps just picked me up by the
collar. Apparently they knew who was there.

Jim Blackstock