A Century of Service to Roanoke

Thu Mar 10 22:41:06 EST 2005

The photo attached is of a bronze medallion which I inherited from my
Grandfather, D.P.Hylton. Mr. Hylton was a bank officer in Roanoke. The
medallion obviously commemorates the N&W's first century in Roanoke.
According to the stamping on the edge, it was cast by the Medallic Art Co.
of New York. My question is simply, do any listers know the history of these
medallions? Were they common hand outs or something given to higher ranking
employees, businessmen and acquaintances?

The locomotive on the front appears to be the "Roanoke" from the Virginia
and Tennessee RR. And even seems to be cast from the photo of said loco on
page 11 of the book "Images of Rail - Norfolk and Western Railway".

Also, does anyone have an "archival" method of cleaning bronze without
damaging the raised lettering or engraving?

Don Trettel

http://www.nwhs.org/qna/photos/1952N&WMedallion.jpg