A Century of Service to Roanoke

Fri Mar 11 07:46:14 EST 2005

These medallions were prepared in 1952 to commemorate the arrival of
the first train in what would become Roanoke in 1852.

They were given to all attendees at a banquet held November 1, 1952 at
Hotel Roanoke for the celebration. 500 people attended the banquet that
evening, probably a few of them did not bother to pocket the heavy
piece. I have yet to see one in any kind of presentation box. They were
depicted on the cover of the banquet menu as well.

If they were given out to employees, it was only to higher executives
as I know my father never got one. The medallions are certainly not
very common items on the market. I am not certain how many were
actually made, but my guess would be 1,000 or less.

Ken Miller