Coal via Potomac Yard

Mon Mar 21 23:52:59 EST 2005

In the mid to late 1950's, when I worked the Southern extra board as extra
Clerk in
Alexandria, we got a train every other day or so of Virginian coal in
Middle Yard for
the small Virginia Power plant at the foot of Tunnel Town. The set off
track was
named Braddock Siding.
I was told by an old timer the small Vepco plant was called Braddock Power and
Light back in the 1920's. this plant never got over 2 cars,  the rest 20 or
so cars
went up north to the Alexandria Pepco plant. This plant had a 0-4-0 that
they filled
with steam from the Elec. Plant every 4 hours of work. It could move about 6
loaded Hoppers at a time to the dumper.
A few years ago I came across one of my old yard books, If I can find it I
will be able
give you the track numbers and the car numbers for each job, both loads & empty
along with the dates as I had to write the entire Middle Yard when I came
to work.
Both old and Middle yard are now town houses and office buildings and the NS
has reopened Cameron Yard  that the ICC made the SOU shut down when they
built it in the early 1920's.

                                      H.B.Lyon