water tanks

Mon Apr 4 23:01:16 EDT 2005

All,
    Lately, I've been paying attention to shots of N&W wooden water tanks in books, videos, etc.  One area that I'm having trouble making out is the roof of the tank.  It appears to be conical, with perhaps 16 straight sides around the circumference making it nearly round, but I can't make out the angle of the pitch of the roof or how it is constructed.  Does anybody know if they were shingled or any other details of their construction?  Also was the finial purely decorative and was it the same from tank to tank?
Thanks,
Jim Cochran