water tanks

Wed Apr 6 09:00:36 EDT 2005

Jim,

Pages 100 and 101 of N&W Railway Standards Drawings show the 50,000 gallon wood tank.  Reading the fine print, it looks like these drawings were revised June 17, 1940.  A search of my Archives CD indicates drawing E-3108, dated 1892, is in the archives.  This is identified as a 50,000 gallon wood water tank.

According to the standards book drawings, it looks like the roof was made of 16 panels.  The drawings indicate the roof material was tin, applied over one-inch sheathing.  The joists and rafter supports were made from yellow pine.

If my old eyes, blended bi-focal lenses and magnifying glass aren't playing tricks on me, from the top of the tank to where the roof panels meet the Octgonal Post (finial), the distance is 4 feet.  From the center of the post (center of tank) to the outer top edge of the tank, the distance is 12 feet 10 inches; the tin roof panel overhands the tank 4 inches.  Laying an oversized protractor on the plans, it looks to be about a 20 degree angle, maybe a little less.

The finial is another matter.  The standards book drawings indicate "post to be octagonal here, rafters and joists sized to fit."  This of course is where the rafters and joists attach to the center post of the tank.  A note on the drawing indicates the down inside the tank the "post to be square here."  The bill of materials indicates one 8 inch by 8 inch by 24 foot piece to be used for the "center post."  Looking at the drawings, it appears that the post was square to almost the top of the tank; then, it was octagonal to its very tip.  My guess is that the carpenters
would have done this on-site, but it could have been done in the shops before sending out the materials for construction of the tank.  Another guess is that there was some standard for the octagonal portion of the post, but this is not identified on the standards book drawings.

Interestingly, the notes from the standards book indicate the metal supports of the tank are to be painted black, while all outside fixtures, roof and finished wood work is painted brown.

Hope this information helps.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

  Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 11:01 PM
  Subject: water tanks

  All,
      Lately, I've been paying attention to shots of N&W wooden water tanks in books, videos, etc.  One area that I'm having trouble making out is the roof of the tank.  It appears to be conical, with perhaps 16 straight sides around the circumference making it nearly round, but I can't make out the angle of the pitch of the roof or how it is constructed.  Does anybody know if they were shingled or any other details of their construction?  Also was the finial purely decorative and was it the same from tank to tank?
  Thanks,
  Jim Cochran