Safetran Yellow is ORANGE!!!

Wed May 4 09:51:44 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/30/2005 7:59:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

> they showed me what all these new signals can do

Ben,
       For those of us operating by these signals, the only thing that they
can do is derate to the next lowest signal if a bulb burns out. That is to say
if a clear signal's bulb burns out, the signal will derate to an approach. An
approach will go to restricting or a stop.
       With CPL signals, this wasn't a big problem. If one of the green
lights burned out you would still have a clear. If the top two reds and one yellow
burned out of a diverging approach, you could still tell that it was a
diverging approach. Of course we would notify the dispatcher when bulbs did burn out
so they could tell the signal maintainer.
       This is one of the big reasons that I don't like these Safetran
signals. The orange bezels are another and have already caused part of the
southbound signal at Nace to be taken out of service, although you will never get the
signal dept. to admit it!
Jimmy Lisle