Safetran Yellow is ORANGE!!!

Thu May 5 14:03:08 EDT 2005

Don't get me wrong.  I definitely am NOT a fan of the Safetran signals.  They have no personality.  Even their version of an N&W CPL is not attractive to me.  I think they look like a cheap copy.  Of course, US&S is not in the block signal business anymore that I know of, so what else could they do?

One thing they could have done was order signals that have an extra bulb that will kick on when the primary bulb burns out, but I guess they couldn't afford that option.  (Can't imagine why...)

Ben Blevins

they showed me what all these new signals can do

Ben,
       For those of us operating by these signals, the only thing that they can do is derate to the next lowest signal if a bulb burns out. That is to say if a clear signal's bulb burns out, the signal will derate to an approach. An approach will go to restricting or a stop.
       With CPL signals, this wasn't a big problem. If one of the green lights burned out you would still have a clear. If the top two reds and one yellow burned out of a diverging approach, you could still tell that it was a diverging approach. Of course we would notify the dispatcher when bulbs did burn out so they could tell the signal maintainer.
       This is one of the big reasons that I don't like these Safetran signals. The orange bezels are another and have already caused part of the southbound signal at Nace to be taken out of service, although you will never get the signal dept. to admit it!