Nitpicking

Wed Sep 28 00:36:28 EDT 2005

Sincerest apologies to Bill Sellers but, since I was the one who asked the
question about the 40&8s, I feel compelled to correct the record.

The "Merci" cars are French, not British, and are, therefore, decidedly not
"goods wagons" at all . One finds "goods wagons" only in the UK and in some
of their former colonies (except here!,) but certainly not on the continent.
In France, the 40&8s were/are "Wagon-Couvert" and in Germany, for another
example, a "boxcar" is a "gedeckte (or) geshlossene Gueterwagon." Boxcars
are called different things in all the other myriad European languages of
course. One must not presume British English is "universally" used.

Sorry, Bill, but being a foreign language teacher and uncontrollable nit
picker myself, I could not resist the correction.

Albert Burckard