Dog House on modern N&W steam

Tue Apr 11 21:49:53 EDT 2006

Dog houses were heated by a steam pipe (about 2" outside diameter) which made several loops under the seat in the dog house. The pipe almost laid on the floor (deck of the tender.) There was a steam shut off valve on, I beleive, on the fireman's side.

The fireman usually took the water, but I have seen the brakeman take the water if the fireman was busy working on the fire.

Of course, as the coal was worked further back in the tender, the brakeman's services were generally required to "cut down coal" (move it forward) for the fireman.

-- abram burnett