Strasburg Convention

Sun May 21 21:13:31 EDT 2006

Jim:

I agree. And given that having the convetion anywhere ON N&W lines or in N&W terrotory means NO live steam in operation, I would side with having it somewhere that operates a real live N&W steamer over wandering around Roanoke looking at the grand steamers that NS does NOT operate.

My two cents' worth

Bob Welsh
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:47 AM
Subject: Strasburg Convention

I have read, with interest, both the comments of Steve Rineair regarding the Strasburg Convention and the numerous responses to his comments.

The question of holding a Society convention in Strasburg is not a new one. It was first raised at a convention in Portsmouth, VA some years ago when the 475 was first acquired by the Strasburg Railroad. At the time, Steve was not in favor of holding the convention in Strasburg AND gas was probably under $1.00 per gallon. He was very vocal at the Society business meeting. Fine, everyone is entitled to their personal preferences and opinions. The part that concerns me is that Steve seems to feel that he's compelled to cast a cloud over the convention for those of us who are looking forward to an enjoyable weekend.

True, Strasburg is not on N&W lines. On the plus side, we have a great convention host in Rick Musser who also happens to be the Roundhouse Foreman at Strasburg. Because of Rick's knowledge and position, those attending the convention will be afforded a rare opportunity to see the 475 in operation and to get a very close look at the operations of the Strasburg Railroad. Real live steam..close up and N&W to boot.

SO...give it a break Steve! We're sorry that Strasburg doesn't fit with your particular thoughts regarding Society conventions, but please don't go out of your way to spoil it for the rest of us.

Jim Gillum