N&W sightseeing along the Shenandoah Division

Mon May 29 02:24:46 EDT 2006

In a message dated 5/28/2006 4:32:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

Does anyone know if the ex-N&W YMCA survived the fire? The building has
long since be converted to apartments and expanded, but was one of the few
remaining structures to the N&W steam era left in the area.

The area was roped off so we couldn't get very close the day of the fire. As
far as I know only the old pool hall and hardware store were involved. The
pool hall was consumed. I don't remember the mural being in there, but the
ceiling was made of the antique molded tin panels. The facade of the hardware
store was still standing at the time although everything from there back was
consumed.

There was a small bucket truck parked across the street from the fire that
was actually melted by the heat.

The old "Y" is safe as it was more than a block away. Sadly years ago,
"Billy Banes" which was across the street from the pool hall went up in flames.
Billy had the best hot dogs I've ever eaten.
Jimmy Lisle