Car Poleing.

Mon May 29 09:25:50 EDT 2006

The early N&W Diesels were delivered with pole pockets.

I can remember poleing cars once or twice on the Shenandoah Valley Local and the Punkin' Vine Local in the early 1960s.

Poleing was prohibited by the safety rules even at that time, but the Local crews had an old pole or two hidden a strategic places, to facilitate their switching.

But then, of course, we weren't as good as the Southern Ray-road...

I remember one night while coming south on the Shenandoah Valley, finding a pole in rather decent shape, iron bands and all. (I can't remember exactly where it was found.) I loaded the thing up on the running board of the engine, then threw it off between Hollins and North Roanoke. By the time I drove out to the location the next day, some low-life scoundrel had beat me to my stealings !

-- abram burnett