July 5, Sixty-Seven years Ago

Wed Jul 5 23:16:07 EDT 2006

Charlie - without lubrication, the boiler bearing slide wouldn't slide. It
had worked after a fashion from Roanoke to Dry Branch but evidently siezed
up at that point. After it made the little left curve at the end of Dry
Branch Middle track, it wouldn't let the boiler come back to center; the
front engine stayed skewed to the left. It's still skewed to the left in
the photo. It stayed skewed to the left as the engine tried to make the
right hand curve after the short straight.

Again, get into the DOT special collections website and get report 2369.

The engine was on its first trip after being taken out of storage. It would
have been difficult to visibly detect the lack of lubrication, and nobody
did detect it.

I had heard that an A derailed in a yard (Williamson or Portsmouth) out on
the west end due to the same thing, but I've never seen anything to confirm
it.

EdKing