Rail Expansion During the Summer

Thu Oct 5 20:30:47 EDT 2006

Working on the Chesapeake Western section gang in the summer of 1974, we made several trips down to Lam's Bottom, at the bottom of the hill just before the Shenandoah River bridge. The jointed rail was throwing the caboose as the train came back to Elkton and the conductor was spilling his coffee in his lap. We would cut out several inches of rail with a torch, and the gap would close up as we knocked the rail out of the the way. I have long wondered what happened in the winter, where was all of that rail coming from?

David Ray