Today Show

Sun Apr 1 13:47:41 EDT 2007

Ken's mention of Sputnik reminds me how far science has progressed since
then. At the time that the launch of Sputnik stunned the scientific and
military community in this country I was assigned to Research and
Development Company at Fort Monmouth, NJ, the home of the US Army Signal
Corps. When Sputnik went up a number of us were pressed into duty manning
conventional radio direction finding equipment to track the beep, beep, beep
of Sputnik. Whenever it came into range we manually logged the coordinates
and the corresponding times, then picked up a telephone and verbally relayed
the information to a telephone number in Washington, DC. Hard to believe
that this was the way it was done then, but it was.

Incidentally, I worked in the Signal Research and Development Laboratories,
known locally as the "Hexagon." But, it was a five-sided hexagon!

The explanation is that two of the sides had not been built at that time.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: Today Show