Speaking of Matoaka...

Tue Jul 3 09:36:41 EDT 2007

In speaking of Matoaka,
That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. Is the old N&W line from Coopers to Matoaka still there? And, if so, why did they leave it?
Ben Blevins

Roanoke Times - July 3, 1907

FREIGHT AND PASSENGER TRAINS ON VIRGINIAN

Norfolk, Va., July 2. -- Freight and passenger trains are no
running over approximately one-half of the Virginian Railway line
between Norfolk and Deepwater, West Virginia, the present western
terminus of the system.
Yesterday passenger service was inaugurated between Deepwater and
Matoaca, approximately eighty miles, the trains leaving Deepwater at
5:45 a.m. and arriving at Motoaka at 9:45 a.m.; leaving Matoaka at
11:45 a.m., and arriving at Deepwater at 3:45 p.m.
Trains are already in operation between Norfolk and Victoria, 125
miles, and therefore the 446 miles between Norfolk and Deepwater, 205
are no being operated.

Note:
The paper appears to have spelled "Matoaka" correctly only once in
three attempts in this article!

- Ron Davis, Roger Link