Latest Arrow, convention comments

Sat Sep 15 17:06:44 EDT 2007

Thank you, Frank, for your answer. You did put it in a way that I haven't thought of before.

Regards,
Will

Well, Will, you are kind of opening a can of worms,
but I would suggest that you're certainly not
overstepping your bounds. However, I'd respectfully
offer a different take.

Mr. Goode is not an individual supported by our taxes
speaking at a public event (I've been that, sort of);
a government spokesperson should be expected to
respond to the "tough" questions from the people
paying his salary. However, Mr. Goode was our
"guest", and when you invite someone to dinner, and
ask them to speak, I think it's a form of courtesy to
clear a question like that before pinning him down in
front of what is, in some ways,a very tough crowd.
And, let's face it, a good percentage of "real
railroaders" have no use for those of us for whom this
is a hobby (whether historian and/or model
railroader). I would wager that some of the real
railroaders who are members of our historical
societies have had to put up with a certain amount of
"you one of those silly railfans?!?" at work [Gary
Price--feel free to chirp in here]. And,
pragmatically, it's good to have friends who either
work for the railroad, or did and still have
connections; would you rather tour a railyard or be
limited to pictures of how the yard used to be?
Frankly, I found Mr. Goode's accountability
refreshing. Yes, UP figured out a way, but the safety
and liability issues are Major and Out There. Just My
Humble Opinion.

Frank Bongiovanni