three questions

Mon Oct 8 07:15:07 EDT 2007

John,
while I cant help you with your first two questions I can answer your 3rd....The comb-like device is called a tell-tale it was used to tell the crew walking,standing on top of the train that a tunnel or low clearance object was coming and for them to seek lower ground quickly to avoid being knocked off or injured on the train....this is pre 1963 technology when the FRA ruled that walking the train was unsafe and thats when roofwalks and full length ladders except on covered hoppers and Tankers started to disappear on the railroads....also by that time there weren't many if any brakemen still slowing the trains by using the brakewheels on tops of cars due to advancements in airbrake technology.

I hope this helps,
Shawn

Subsequent to that, I have figured out that the pgotograph was taken at milepost 476. So my question is:

1. What is the easiest way to figure out where that milepost is ( short of walking the ROW and eyeballing ). Someone had suggested a track chart, and there is one in the Archives, but I am confused about the availability of those documents. Can I order one?

2. Also, I was watching an old VHS tape last night that contained a number of shots of the old "photographers briudge" somewhere on the Blue Ridge grade. Is the site of the bridge still accessible, and if so, where it it.

3. Lastly, I have also noted pictures of a device that is supported over the rail bed, and has wires hanging down - like a horizontal comb. What is that device supposed to do?

Thanks in advance for any and all help on any part of the above.
John C. Abbott
Wheaton, MD

Note:
No Trees were harmed in sending this message.
However, some electrons along the way were inconvenienced.