three questions

Mon Oct 8 12:26:18 EDT 2007

Mr. Abbott: A track chart is a schematic or a simple line drawing. What
you want is a Right of Way drawing that shows your desired milepost in
relation to a road location that you can find while driving along that road.
The track charts can be ordered from the archives (archives at nwhs.org) .
But, I think you will find that you still need to put your puzzle together
so that you can navigate yourself or someone will have to do the navigation
for you. The RoW drawings for this line are not available in the Archives
to my knowledge. I'll have to see if I can figure out where 476 is and
relate it to a highway location for you.

The old photographer's bridge at Blue Ridge is long gone. It isn't to far
from Webster and the brick yard east of Roanoke. But, the tree growth along
this area blocks any photograph similar to those taken in the 'golden
twilight' of steam operation. The brick works are the easiest thing to find
today to get you somewhat close to the summit.

The ropes hanging down over the tracks are 'tell tales' or 'tell tails' that
were hung to the tops of the cars so that a man riding on the top of a car
would be struck by them. He would then know --- "DUCK"-that a low hanging
structure was just ahead. Low bridges or tunnel portals were so marked.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____