young whippersnapper??

Wed Oct 10 04:31:31 EDT 2007

"I'll tell you one thing that really makes me feel old is going to sites along the railroad where great photos were taken in the '50's and '60's--like photographer's bridge--and seeing how big the trees are. It doesn't take long for a second-growth forest to get established."

You can witness this fact more easily at Natural Bridge Station. Compare the photo, in the new "N&W Steam in Color", of the riverbank on the C&O side of the James River to the 50 - 60 foot tall trees lining the bank today.
Jimmy Lisle