Camp Cars

Fri Jan 4 15:16:15 EST 2008

There's pro's and con's to both motels and camp cars, and Gary has already covered them for Camp Cars. Since Gary asked for my input, I will give my account on the signal construction gang side of things.

First off, my gang is six men. Not near the size of a surfacing, rail, or T&S gang like Gary's. We stay in a motel chosen by NS. If the first preference doesn't have enough rooms for the whole gang, we go next closest on the list. We will then commute every day from the motel to the job site in company trucks.

When my day is done, I return to the motel, where I have my personal space, and my private vehicle to go eat where I please. I'm usually in a town that has a variety of places to eat, but sometimes the only place is a Mom-n-Pops local type place. Sometimes I get a room that's drafty and cold, and sometimes I get a nice comfortable room. So far they have always been clean, so that's good.

Unlike the camp cars, I don't have anywhere to leave my personal belongings. So, I have to pack up every Thursday or Friday and load up all my stuff in the back of my car. It takes me about twenty minutes to pack and unpack. Most of the stuff just stays in my car through the weekend, except for my laundry. So, essentially, I live out of the back of my car.

There's good and bad to both.

Ben Blevins

Another good thing is once your there your there, and you can leave all you clothes, boots and supplies there, and not take them home every week like checking out of a hotel on Thursday. We work predominately in Nascar country so sometimes hotels can be sparse, and Ben Blevins can speak on experience on finding hotels in West Virginia to house his small gang in, as compared to the commute back and forth to the work site.

Hope this helps understand that things need to be a lot better, I'm in favor of keeping the cars, BUT with major improvements, mainly indoor toiletries.

Gary Price
Keeping the ole N&W safe one tie at a time

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.________________________________________