Alco RS-11's on Abingdon Branch?

Wed Feb 6 17:15:23 EST 2008

Ed,
Why didn't the crews like the RS-11's? Why would they prefer a GP9? Just curious.
Ben Blevins

I don't know that a T-6 was ever used on the Abingdon Branch. There isn't any reason why an RS-11 couldn't have been used if there was one in Bristol at the time the train was called. However, if the crew had anything to do with it, they would have talked the enginehouse folks out of it if there was a GP9 available. But I never heard that they sent a T-6 to Bristol for use on the Branch. I doubt it. There was a need for more horsepower than that available with the T-6.

EdKing
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:59 PM
Subject: Alco RS-11's on Abingdon Branch?

Hello, I know that EMD 4-axles were primarily used on the Abingdon Branch, and supposedly Alco T-6 switchers briefly. Was wondering if RS-11's were ever seen on the Abingdon Branch; if not, then why? Many thanks! Dave G

http://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/________________________________________