Alco RS-11's on Abingdon Branch?

Wed Feb 6 23:53:39 EST 2008

Gary - I had never heard of a place where an RS-11 couldn't go where a GP9 could. That quarry is the first one. The Abingdon Branch wouldn't have been unsuitable for the RS-11.

The crews preferred the EMDs because the Blomberg trucks rode better than the AAR type B trucks of the Alcos. The Geeps were also more convenient to handle; the Alco throttle was longer and on the earlier ones equipped with 24RL brakes, the automatic brake handle was a long way from the throttle handle. The later ones with the 26L brake were more convenient than the older ones, but neither was in a class with the GPs, except maybe the first ones with the old control stand. But ask any engineer - they'd take the EMD every time. A lesser consideration was the sound; the 567 engine talked it up better than the turbocharged Alco engine.

EdKing
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 4:46 PM
Subject: RE: Alco RS-11's on Abingdon Branch?

One thing to consider about the RS-11. This type of locomotive was selected to dieselize the Cincinnati District. But, the RS-11 didn't handle the curves correctly on the Roca Spur up into Waller Brothers quarry near McDermott, Ohio across the Scioto River from Portsmouth. So for a short while this type was banned from the line until the spur track was modified to accept the swing of the trucks on the RS-11. This spur was a steep one with a switch back in it to get up into the quarry up on the ridge line.

I don't have the details about what happened between the RS-11 and the track nor what the solution was. I just know that the RS-11's were banned for the short while in 1956.

Was the Abingdon Branch suitable for the RS-11? It was a very curving piece of track.

Maybe some of the older fellows know what the considerations were for this line.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati