Alco RS-11's on Abingdon Branch?

Wed Feb 6 16:46:44 EST 2008

One thing to consider about the RS-11. This type of locomotive was selected
to dieselize the Cincinnati District. But, the RS-11 didn't handle the
curves correctly on the Roca Spur up into Waller Brothers quarry near
McDermott, Ohio across the Scioto River from Portsmouth. So for a short
while this type was banned from the line until the spur track was modified
to accept the swing of the trucks on the RS-11. This spur was a steep one
with a switch back in it to get up into the quarry up on the ridge line.

I don't have the details about what happened between the RS-11 and the track
nor what the solution was. I just know that the RS-11's were banned for the
short while in 1956.

Was the Abingdon Branch suitable for the RS-11? It was a very curving
piece of track.

Maybe some of the older fellows know what the considerations were for this
line.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____