1908 - S. & W. Railroad Sold to C. C. & O.

Tue Mar 25 10:46:41 EDT 2008

The first chapter of my book "Coalwood" goes into the business dealings of
George L. Carter and Thomas Fortune Ryan and their association on the C.C. &
O. In the early 1900s Thomas Fortune Ryan was one of the richest men in
America. In 1918 he was on the first list that Forbes Magazine published of
richest men in America. Ryan was No. 13 with an estimated worth of $70
million. At one point Ryan noted of Carter that he was the cleverest
businessman he had ever met. When Carter died in 1936 The Washington Post
described Carter as "one of the last of the great empire builders."

J. Norment Powell was a long time associate of Carter. Powell was
vice-president of Carter's West Virginia Southwestern Railway that beame
the N&W's Clear Fork Branch. Powell was president of the Caretta Railway
Company when the N&W took it over as the Caretta Branch.

One of the interesting things that you encounter when researching books is
all of the tangential information that you come across that are interesting
stories within themselves. Ryan is one of those stories and Caples is
another. George L. Carter is worthy of an entire biography except he and is
son destroyed as many personal records as they could find. What you do find
are newspaper articles like the one below that offer some insight to the
financial dealings of the early businessmen and their railroad associations.

"Coalwood" is available through the NWHS comissary.

Alex Schust

Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:34 PM
Subject: 1908 - S. & W. Railroad Sold to C. C. & O.