Railroad Lanterns & Locks

Wed May 21 09:48:09 EDT 2008

Hi Charlie,
I believe that 1937 is the date that the lock was produced or maybe put in service. The 5459S is a serial number for the key. Many later keys aren't marked with a number. I would also like to get input from the other members to verify my thoughts. I have an article with info on how to contact two well known railroadiana collector organizations in my National Director's Page in the April 2008 issue of the "Blue Ridge Dispatcher". That's the monthly publication of the Blue Ridge Chapter, NRHS. Log on to www.blueridgenrhs.org to download the April 2008 issue. I'm a member of both railroadiana organizations and I'm completely satisfied with the wealth of info that they supply and their quality publications.
Take care,
Norris Deyerle
National Director
Blue Ridge Chapter, NRHS

Thanks for all of the replies concerning lanterns!

Another question I have is concerning railroad locks. I have a heart shape N&W lock & key with 1937 on the "arm" of the lock and 5459S on the key. Can anyone tell me the significance of these numbers. Thanks again for any help anyone can give!

Charlie