Railroad Lanterns & Locks

Wed May 21 16:07:17 EDT 2008

Yes, the date of the lock is stamped on the hasp. Some keys had serial
numbers; most do not. The bronze heart-shaped lock was produced until the
early 1970's. And it was produced in forms that would accept NKP keys and
Wabash keys in the 'new' territories. These keys would be to the NKP or WAB
'shape' but are marked, of course, N&W.

Some keys would be marked for special service, like repair tracks. The lock
would have the same code stamped on it.

Again, Key Lock and Lantern magazine is a good place to start for an
education.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____