Steam (NW Mailing List)

Sat May 31 12:03:33 EDT 2008

I will quite freely concede the diesel's drag freight advantages.

Steam will not be competitive in drag freight, barring some major shifts in fuel prices and interest rates.

Stil, it was quite an amazing accomplishment of the Y-6b that it could come within a whisker of a four unit diesel's performance on 1% grades and at a substantially lower capital cost.

See King's Sept 2004 on high wheel 40 mph articulateds consigned to work much more economically done by the Y-6b, however unfashionable compounds were at the time.

Bill Wendt