Steam (NW Mailing List)

Sat May 31 22:46:08 EDT 2008

I feel the need at this point to inject a little dose of reality into
the fantasizing. It would be nearly impossible for "classic"
reciprocating steam to make a comeback on a class one railroad. It may
be faster, more powerful, and more efficient, but there are two major
drawbacks. Hammer blow from the reciprocating and revolving masses
require heavier track for the same weight on the drivers. Most of all,
the manpower needed to keep a steam locomotive running grossly exceeds
that needed for a diesel electric. It was the cost of labor, more than
any other factor, that doomed the steam locomotive 50 years ago, and
that prevents it returning today.

There are those that claim steam turbines or some other steam electric
locomotive could be practical. They may solve the problems of hammer
blow and labor, but turbines aren't well suited to variable loads, nor
do they like to be jarred at every coupling. It is also quite difficult
to make an external combustion engine more efficient than a comparable
internal combustion engine.

The Virginian Ry. had the answer over half a century ago - electrics. A
large steam driven power plant can feed an electric locomotive much more
efficiently than any self contained locomotive. The peak tractive
effort is limited only by weight and factor of adhesion, and max power
is limited by the size of the traction motors. Dynamic braking becomes
regenerative braking, feeding back into the grid. And for those that
complain of the high capital costs of an electric system, what will it
cost to introduce a totally new type of locomotive, or to reintroduce
reciprocating steam?

Kenneth Rickman