James N Gillum

Thu Nov 20 21:54:53 EST 2008

Like many in the Society, I feel like I've lost a close personal friend. Jim had that quirk of personality - he could make you feel close, like you were a part of things. Even from this great a distance, I'll miss his spirit, his personality, his support, and his great sense of humor.

Perhaps no one has been a greater support for the Society than Jim; he was one of the most unselfish people I've ever known - his time, his enthusiasm, his "get-it-done" attitude and, yes, his substance - have all helped make this organization what it is today.

It is only fitting that our Archives be named for him. Jim was the Archives, and the Archives was Jim. Without him, one wonders where we'd be today.

Ed King
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:26 AM
Subject: James N Gillum

I am sorry to report that past NWHS president Jim Gillum passed away last night. His family reports that he did not suffer and was in no pain.

Jim had been fighting ALS - a degenerative muscle disease and was recently diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor.

NWHS has lost one of its giants.

Ron Davis