Articles for The Arrow ****

Tue Feb 17 19:50:43 EST 2009

I recently found out from a coworker that N&W designed and built highway bridges to carry public roads over its right of way.  Several of these bridges are still in service, and many are located in Bedford County.  Furthermore, these bridges weren't just standard designs, rather they were laid out and designed to fit their individual situation.  In particular, Photographer's Bridge at Blue Ridge appeared to be one of these, and I'm trying to gather some info on it as well as any others that are either out of service or have been demolished.

It's something quite different from what would normally appear in the Arrow, but it might be interesting.

I posted a question about this to the discussion list a few weeks ago, but no one responded.  Does anyone know when Photographer's Bridge was demolished?  Or better yet, when it was built?  Does anyone know of any other highway bridges built by N&W that have been demolished?  Any information anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,