N&W in 1909--Injury

Wed Apr 8 21:11:22 EDT 2009

Being 100 years removed, we can enjoy the "romance" of steam railroading. In reality, it seems it was very easy to be permanently injured or killed when you worked on the railroad.
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:51 AM
Subject: N&W in 1909--Injury

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
July 10, 1909

ENGINEER BADLY SCALDED
------
Albert Francisco's Injuries Extremely Painful but Not Necessarily Fatal

Albert Francisco, a Norfolk and Western engineer was badly scalded about noon yesterday at Wilcoe on the Tug River branch [sic]. He was backing his engine when it sideswiped the caboose of a freight which had failed to clear. The cab of his engine was caught on the rear car of the freight and torn off, breading some of the steam pipes. Mr. Francisco was badly scalded about the arms, head and back. He was brought to the Bluefield Sanatorium last night, and while his injuries are extremely painful, the hospital staff does not think they are necessarily fatal.
------
[I have attached a copy from the microfilm of the two headlines and the first two lines of the above article to show an extreme, but no means rare, example of the poor quality that challenges a correct transcription of the article. Some other articles are quite clear. The quality not only varies from page to page, but from one place on a page to another place on the same page.]

Gordon Hamilton