Rural Retreat

Fri Apr 17 01:08:33 EDT 2009

Does anyone have the details of NS' offer to donate the land to the town of Rural Retreat that the depot sits upon? If so, kindly contact me off list. Here's an article and comments that are reported by WDBJ, Roanoke.

April 14, 2009
Public hearing on Rural Retreat Train Depot

Rural Retreat natives Jack Weaver and his wife Rose have owned the old building for nearly two decades.

Mayor Tim Litz said the town offered Weaver $30,000 for the depot.

There's some controversy over the old Rural Retreat train depot.

Rural Retreat natives Jack and Rose Weaver have owned the old building for nearly two decades.

They say the plan has always been to restore it, but Norfolk Southern owns the property it sits on.

The Weaver's lease the land on a year by year basis from the railroad company.

Recently, Norfolk Southern offered to give the town the three-tenths of an acre under the depot.

But, town leaders must figure out a way to acquire the depot and restore it for historical and public use.

Mayor Tim Litz said the town offered Weaver $30,000 for the depot.

Weaver declined saying he has much more invested.

The mayor said the town's only option is to condemn the depot and take it by eminent domain.

Guest
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Why don't you people back off of this issue. I was at the meeting last night and it was clear that Weaver has made this situation himself! He was asked numerous times if he would be willing to work with the town regardless of hard feelings for the good of the towns people. He again refused. Council members Crigger, Yontz, and Osborne all asked Mr. Weaver to again reconsider and he refused. The majority of the towns people were clearly in support of acquiring this property. It all boils down to Weaver! He will not budge and the rail road WILL NOT work with him! So what is the council to do? They have to represent the people who have elected. This was a very complicated issue for them and I would not have traded places with any of them. Also if you want to drag in personal interests there is not a person in town who could sit on council and not have a benefit. We're talking about a town of 2 square miles. You can basically see from one side to the other.
The council members all echoed that they did not want to have to do this in this manner, but Mr. Weaver left them no choice. I hope this finds resolution that all can agree upon, however knowing the past history this seems impossible.

Guest
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Mr. Weaver is acting like a spolied child, he doesn't like the rules of the game, so he is going to take his toys home(train depot) and play with it himself. The depot is deplorable condtion and I doubt that it could be moved in one piece. Let the Town have it and restore it. Pulaski restored their train station and after the tragic fire, the town knows a good thing, and they are going to rebuild it. This train station could be a gem to RR, if Mr. Weaver would grow up and let go. Take the money offered and be happy.

Shock
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
It's a real estate question. If Weaver claims over $30,000 invested in the structure then there should be some form of documentation such as receipts, etc. If he can't substantiate that claim he can either accept the offer on the table or risk the loss.

Guest
Thursday, April 16, 2009
The town had the opportunity to buy the depot before Jack bought it. The didn't care about then, so why now? The whole point of this is that it is private property and the town can just condemn it! What is next, Randy's, Country Kitchen, Parkway Gas just because they want it. I hope this costs the town a fortune to win this, and when your town taxes get raised to pay Sobey's legal fees and to restore the building that the railroad will still be able to take the land back from. Take a photo and let Jack get it out of town, it is after all his property.

Chad Walk
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Im sorry I dont see it that way, but why dont Weaver sell it to the town? He has owned the depot all those years and doesnt look like he has even bothered to put a coat of paint on it.Weaver is one of those people that wants everybody to know that the depot is his and could really care less about the building...The town is wanting to restore the building for everyone to see for years to come.From the looks of the building now ,do you think Mr.Weaver is going to restore the building once he has put it on his property.If he does get to put it on his property do you think people will want to go see it?  I think $30,000 is more than a fair price...

I do not agree!!!! Look at the money they will be making????????????? They could easly double the price........!!!!!!!!??????

Guest
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
It would be nice to see whether anyone on either side has been willing to negotiate the price or conditions of the sale. It has been sitting there for years and has become an eyesore. I am sitting on the fence for this one. I think 30,000 is fair, but it is Weaver's choice in accepting the offer. I would hate to see the town take someone's property, but it is a tough issue for everyone. This entire situation is entirely based on greed.

Guest
Wednesday, April 15, 2009

30,000 IS fair!!! It is a tiny town with little real estate value. He should gladly take 30,000 for it!

Benny Robinson
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Here's a novel idea! Why didn't Norfolk and Southern offer the land to the Depot owner? They have simply created a legal quagmire that most likely will leave the Depot owner short?

The thinking in this Country is so convulted.

Now, why doesn't the Town sell the property to Mr. Weaver? Could it be Dollars and Greed have overcome rational logic.

This is apauling????

Linda
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
BINGO !!!!!!!!

I just think it is awful convienent that out of 7 total town council members who would have a vote on whether to take the land or not there are 4 who may have more ill intentions for jack and the depot than they are letting on. Dale Yontz has Yontz auction building right next to the depot, the town mayor and town manager do not see eye to eye at all with Mr. Weaver and they have not made that a secret. And Scott Mecimore owns the winery across the street from the depot. Add that up and you have yourself 4 votes and a majority rule to condemn the building and take it by eminant domain. Greed maybe, payback for all those strong opinions, possibly or just a case of who will have the last word. Pretty convienent would'nt you say?????????

Guest
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Why can't the Weaver's buy the land from the railroad?

Anonymous
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Who cares??? Greed rares its ugly head again

Guest
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Why we're at it lets rebuild the old Dr. Pepper building and not worry about the other more important needs of the small town. How much is this old building going to bring to the good of the Town. History is a good but in these times lets be constructive to help our community to survive by creating jobs, repair our streets, continue to grow with our water and sewer, and ask ourselves is this purchase really worth it to the entire Town of RR?????????????????

Source: http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=10183481&nav=S6aK

As of:  April 17, 2009

Compiled by Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com