info on M2 engines

Thu Aug 20 11:17:07 EDT 2009

The 61 M2 numbers for the various subclasses as built are:
M2 1100-49
M2a 1150-52
M2b 1153&54
M2c 1155-60

Ed covers very well the reclassification of these engines, but
clarification is needed about the application of stokers. The 1136 was the
first locomotive on the N&W to get a stoker which was in 1911, but was
after the 1136 was built. All of the other remaining sixty M2's got stokers
applied in 1915-19; none had them when built.

This information about the stokers was given in my revised book which was a
change from my original version.

Bud Jeffries

Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:23 PM
Subject: Re: NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 46, Issue 18

M-2s were not reclassed when superheaters were installed. They
remained in class M-2. The eleven Roanoke-built Ms were in three classes -
M-2a, M-2b and M-2c. All differed from the M-2s in having Baker instead of
Walschaert valve gear. IIRC, the M-2as had stokers, the M-2bs had
Hobart-Alfree cylinders and stokers, and the M-2cs had superheaters and
stokers. In time, the M-2as got superheaters and were reclassed M-2c. The
M-2bs got conventional cylinders and superheaters and were reclassed M-2c.
Bud Jeffries has better information about these mods than I do, and can
probably even give the individual engine numbers.

EdK