Blue Ridge

Wed Aug 26 21:18:03 EDT 2009

Just west of the summit on US 460 find Colonial Road on the left.
(About 200 feet past the route 805 turnoff mentioned earlier.)

A short distance up the road is a park with two ball fields. Park in
the gravel lot and walk to the far side of the park and through the
woods to view the tracks.

Back on Colonial Road, continue past the park to Blue Ridge Springs
Road (Rt 616) and turn left. The road ends where the photographer's
bridge once stood.

Much of the land to the west of this point has grown up with trees,
plus losing the vantage point of the bridge makes seeing the 1950's
view of the original curve difficult.

You can see an aerial view at
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.372228,-79.805224&spn=0.013114,0.027874&t=h&z=16

For you GPS hounds, the coordinates are North 37-deg 22-min
20-sec West 79-deg 48-min 19-sec (37.37222853570164
latitude -79.80522394180298 longitude)

The coordinates for the second bridge are North 37-deg 23-min
10-sec West 79-deg 47-min 37-sec (37.386114890337346
latitude -79.79362070560455 longitude)

Aerial view of second (east) bridge at
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=37.386185,-79.792843&spn=0.013111,0.027874&z=16

Stepping Stone Rd crosses the bridge.