Norfolk Southern History

Wed Jan 27 14:06:00 EST 2010

I have to take exception to this comment. Norfolk Southern not running
steam has nothing to do with whether or not they are interested in history.
Norfolk Southern quit running steam excursions due to liability. I have heard
this first hand from top NS management at the time. I was involved in some
meetings with NS to preserve the steam program. After the
derailment/accident in Lynchburg, VA in 1994 they realized that if that train had been full
of school kids there would not be enough money to cover all of those blood
sucking lawsuits that would follow. Blood sucking is my description, not
NS's. I believe in compensation after an accident but these settlements
these days are outrageous.

Many of my dealings with Norfolk Southern show me that they are interested
in history. They often support our historic organizations. The reason they
often tear down unused structures is to avoid property taxes.

Thanks,

Richard D. Shell
Troutville, VA

In a message dated 1/27/2010 1:38:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,