Y6b shrill whistle

Mon May 3 07:19:22 EDT 2010

Dave,

Your assumption is correct AFAIK.  Both closed and open pipes (horns, too) have a fundamental tone and several harmonics.  The "great whistle storm" is a prolonged example of the higher harmonic becoming dominant.  During 1218's excursion days, you could hear hints of this higher tone at the beginning of a whistle blast.  It seemed to be caused by abruptly yanking the valve open, but I never heard it sustained.  The fundamental lower tone always won out.

Dave Stephenson