N&WHC-3 covered hoppers

Mon May 3 07:29:37 EDT 2010

Kurt,
I have tried searching silica, silicone dioxide and sand on the web and found several companies in Ohio which mine silica but none seem to have an apparent connection to St. Bernard, Norwood or Cincinnati. There where a bunch of mergers mentioned but still no clue who it was in 1953. The deposit of silica may have been in a different area with the refining process being done in the Cincinnati area. N&W cars shipped tended to have the origin "St. Bernard" while B&O cars had "Norwood" but these are next to each other and suburbs of Cincinnati.
Andy Clermont
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: Re: N&WHC-3 covered hoppers

Try looking for sand which is silicone dioxide or silica.

Kurt S. Kramke

Matt,
Thanks for the help, I have been searching the internet and have found
nothing connecting St. Bernard, OH to silica. I have found that some of the
cars shipped, B&O, originated from Norwood, OH which is close to St.
Bernard but web searches have turned nothing on that location either. Let
me know what you find.
Andy Clermont
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:17 PM
Subject: Re: N&WHC-3 covered hoppers