Bridges in Pittsburg

Thu Jun 24 01:09:26 EDT 2010

Both were built about 100 years ago by the WPT, which later became the P&WV, then part of the N&W about 1960.? Have not unpacked my RR books since I moved, so no exact dates.? The more easterly of the two led to what is now called the 'Wabash Tunnel', from which the RR line crossed the Mon. River into downtown Pittsburgh.? Think I recall that this connection, and the cantilever truss bridge, were scrapped in the 30's or 40's.? The bridge piers remained, and may have been re-used to construct a commuter road from the city into the southern hills area.
?
Jerome Crosson (formerly NJ, now MO)
?