Bridges in Pittsburg

Thu Jun 24 10:44:46 EDT 2010

Jerome,

The WPT cantilever bridge across the Monongahela into downtown Pittsburgh
served the old Wabash depot and the multi-story freight house at the Point.
Unfortunately, when built the depots, power house and track structure formed
a "Chinese wall" across lower downtown Pittsburgh-frustrating all efforts
for the redevelopment of the old Fort Pitt area ("the Point") of downtown.
This made the WPT depot complex public enemy number 1 in the minds of the
City government redevelopment forces.

The redevelopment forces won when the entire complex suffered a disastrous
fire in 1947 or '48 and was razed. The cantilever bridge was taken down at
the same time.

The "N&W Bridge" (of very unusual engineering architecture) which spans the
Parkway West (or I-376) near Carnegie, PA leads south out of the Rook Yard
which is still (somewhat) active. About 10-12 miles south of the yard on
this line is the awesome Mingo Creek viaduct. Some great railroading in this
area.

Best regards,

Dave "former McKeesporter, still Steeler fan" Lambert

_____